Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, October 17, 2011

Confirming Others

I find it relatively easy to confirm others, but when I disagree with them it is a little more difficult to. Reading this chapter has taught me the three different ways to confirm others. Recognizing is this simplest, because it just requires acknowledging that a person exists. With someone I don’t agree with, I still at least will speak to them or look at them and recognize their existence as a person. Acknowledging is a second way to confirm, and involves acknowledging the feelings, thoughts, and words of another person. If I don’t agree with someone, I still find it easy to at least understand where a person is coming from and to agree that they can have their own different feelings and thoughts. The last way to confirm is endorsing, or accepting someone’s thoughts and feelings as valid. This one is tough when I disagree with the person, because in order to be honest with the person sometimes I need to let them know I don’t endorse them. Confirming others as people and endorsing particular ideas is easy to distinguish between, because while I may acknowledge and recognize a friend and their thoughts and feelings, I can also not endorse their choices or ideas on particular things.

2 comments:

Scott Bagan, Scott Wootan said...

Hi Lind$ay,

I agree with you. It is hard to confirm others when you do not agree with them. I liked how you said that you are sometimes honest and tell the person you don't endorse their ideas. I am working on recognizing the person and acknowledging their thoughts and feelings. It is hardest to actually endorse their thoughts though. I think it may be best to endorse, but not agree. Acknowledge that two people have different opinions but respect each other's feelings and ideas.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

-rompersb

Xmas said...

I agree that confirming another individual is extremely hard to do when you are at odds with them. Though I might agree with the person I too try and see their view point and acknowledge their opinions. Though I acknowledge them I make it clear that I am not endorsing them, politely of course. I think it is always important to acknowledge another person's ideas or at least recognize them so they at least feel as if they are being heard. Enjoyed your post!

Post a Comment