Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Constructive Criticism

A concept I found hard for myself this week is responding to others’ criticism constructively. I participate in many things that provide opportunity for me to get better at. However, whenever someone who I consider my equal criticizes me, I take it very badly. If the person is obviously superior, such as an instructor or coach, I definitely learn from and thank the person for the constructive criticism. Yet, if the person is my age or same skill level and they criticize me, even constructively, I get upset because I don’t think they have any right to be judging me. By reading this section this week, I’ve learned how to better take criticism from peers. I can begin by asking for more information when I’m criticized in order to better understand where I went wrong. After I ask questions and have more information is when I can actually decide if the criticism is valid. Then I can decide on how I want to act on the criticism. Finally, I can thank the person, regardless of if I thought the criticism was valid or not, in order to maintain a good relationship with the other person.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Hi Lin$ay,
I enjoyed reading your post. I think it hits home with a lot of us. It is easy to take constructive criticism from an instructor or coach but when it is a peer it is a hard thing to swallow. I think in part because it has to do with our pride. But like you it something I am working on. I have realized that there are peers within my major that understand the material better and can help me when working on group project. It is through their constructive criticism that not only is the project better but I learn something by seeing through another persons point of view. I agree with you that by asking more questions when a peer gives you constructive criticism that you open yourself up to be better. For example when I played basketball as a freshman in High school other freshman were better at dribbling then I was but I was better at shooting so we actually helped each other out.
Thanks for sharing your views.
Katrina

MaryLou said...

Hi Lindsay,

I am very similar when it comes to criticism. I try to look at it as constructive, but I hardly ever see it that way. I think it stems from being an only child and I don't like being told what to do, so I look at criticism as someone trying to tell me how to be, instead of appreciating it. My manager at work always jokes about when he tries to tell me something how I automatically want to defend myself, and I really do try and change that and realize that most people are just trying to help me. Although I am like this with everyone, regardless of their status, it is definitely worse when someone who I consider my equal criticizes me.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I agree with you on accepting criticism from other people. I think there's something about someone who is suppose to be working beside you particularly trying to criticize me because I feel like they are putting me beneath them. It is really something difficult to accept when you're peers are saying something which can be perceived as negative about you because it almost makes you feel as if you are falling behind them in some way.

Post a Comment