Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Best Friends

I have been best friends with Rachel for 9 years now. We have made all of the investments imaginable. We have spent a ton of time together, especially during the summers when we both go back home, we make efforts to talk about our thoughts and feelings, and we spend energy doing things together. Over the 9 years we build and communicate acceptance by learning and recognizing each other’s flaws and coming to the realization that they’re just a part of us. For example, she has a very different mindset about some things, and that caused problems for us early on when I got upset because she couldn’t do things my way. Now, I’ve accepted those traits of hers, and she’s accepted mine. We build and communicate trust over the years by keeping numerous secrets and being able to depend on one another for help no matter what. We build and communicate closeness through late night talks and always showing that we care about each other. The dynamics of our friendship could definitely be seen as consistent with those identified by researchers as discussed in this chapter.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Hi Lind$ay,
I can relate to your story about you and your best friend. My best friend Brandi and I have been best friends since I can remember so I am going to say Kindergarten. I understand when you say you guys are different but you accept her for who she is. Brandi calls me whenever because she knows I will be there for her even with a 3 hour time difference.
My friendship with Brandi also went through the steps discussed in the textbook. I hope we never stop investing in our friendship as it is the longest none family relationship I have had.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Katrina

jossshhuaa said...

Lind$ay,

Great post Lindsay. It’s always nice to find a friend that you can depend on and confide in. One part of your post that I’ve found interesting is that you have learned and accepted each other’s differences. I find that this can be the hardest part of a friendship. The clashing of ideas, beliefs, and morals can many times weaken instead of strengthen a friendship. I know with my close group of friends we split opinion on religion. Religion is a topic that can get very emotional and tricky to deal with. We have had some serious heart to heart talks about it, but in the end, we just accept the differences and move on. Sort of like what you do with Rachel.

Thanks for the post!

Jossshhuaa

eyuen510 said...

Lind$ay,
I really enjoyed to read that you and your friend have had such an amazing friendship and that it's lasted 9 years. Some of the stuff you've said reminds me of what has happened with some of my friends and me. I've had a great friendship with some of my friends and we're still growing. All the time and effort we put in our relationship came together for the better for us, just like you and your friendship. I really like how the differences in thoughts/ perspectives you two have has made your friendship that much better. It is a very healthy thing to have different perspectives and that it benefits both of you two. There is nothing better than having someone always there for you through thick and thin just like your relationship with your friend Rachel.

little miss daisy said...

Hi Lind$ay,

I really enjoyed reading your post. It is great to hear that you have a great friendship with your best friend that has lasted almost a decade! There is that famous saying that, it is better to have that one best friend in life who you can trust, and rely on, instead of having a lot of people who we think are friends, however they are just acquaintances and we may not be able to trust them. Your relationship with your best friend remind me of one of my good well best friends who I have known for fourteen years, however we were always family friends (our families were friends) and we never were really close until we graduated from high school. We have gone to schools in different cities, opposite of the bay, however we have made our friendship last and grow stronger by texting each other during the week, and going for a walk on each weekend we are both back home and going for a Starbucks and catching up. I think it is best that we do not see each other all the time because we have learned to value each other as individuals and appreciate each other. Sounds like how yours and Rachel's friendship is.

Great post overall!

-little miss daisy

Post a Comment