Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Internal Obstacles

One specific topic I found interesting this week was internal obstacles. I feel like reading about these internal obstacles was very informative. In addition, by acknowledging these obstacles I’m now able to overcome them and become a better listener. I often suffer from preoccupation. There have been many times were I have a test later on in the day or week, and as a result that is the only thing I am focusing on during my other classes. Now that I realize this is a problem to my listening, I can use Anna Deavere Smith’s tactic of “emptying” myself out when I’m listening. I don’t often prejudge, or think I know what’s going to be said, so I didn’t feel this internal obstacle was too applicable. I recognize the validity of the internal obstacle of reacting to emotionally loaded language in politics. You can clearly see how politicians consciously use words with a positive emotional meaning in order to appeal to more of the general public. However, I have a hard time recognizing that it happens much elsewhere, other than a few people here and there. Lack of effort, however, is another internal obstacle I definitely need to learn to overcome. It’s easy for my to just lie back and listen when someone’s speaking, but making an effort to ask questions and engage the speaker will definitely make for better conversation. The last internal obstacle discussed was not realizing and adjusting to diverse listening styles. I feel like this cultural obstacle is widely recognized, and as a result many people consciously try to overcome it in day to day interactions. All five of these internal obstacles are important to acknowledge in order to become a better listener.

3 comments:

Jeff! said...

Dear Lind$ay,

I think internal obstacles are one of the most difficult road blocks to conquer because they require awareness and a call to action that is easier said then done. After I read about these internal obstacles, I also agree with you that they were informative and happen to occur all the time in anyone! We cannot help to preoccupy ourselves when something we are worried about comes into mind the entire day, and prejudge to rush a conversation or feel intelligent about anticipating what the speaker is going to say.

All the obstacles are hard to get over, but that does not mean it is impossible! Awareness and the incentive to change are the first two things to do in order to conquer internal obstacles, and then we can make a plan to change! I also wanted to tell you that we are all feeling the same pain as you in fighting internal obstacles, so you are not alone in the fight!

I really enjoyed reading your blog! Thanks and hope you continue the fight! :)

-Jeff!

Flora Winter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flora Winter said...

Hi lind$ay,
I thought internal obstacles were a great concept to be aware of because it allowed for self-reflection. When we get distracted with listening and look at our surroundings to figure out why, but sometimes the distraction might also be coming from within. I have found preoccupation to be an internal obstacle too because you are dealing with something personal. It is always hard to step into another situation when you are focused on something else, but as I learned from the readings, it affects our listening skills. The last internal obstacle discussed was also fascinating because it addresses our changing cultural society. As we interact with more diverse people every day, we also have to be flexible enough to realize the changes we need to make in order to become better communicators. Great post and thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment