Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Listening is a Ten Part Skill

Through reading Ralph G. Nichol's "Listening is a 10 Part Skill", I learned a lot about how to be a better listener. A few ideas especially caught my eye that I'd like to work on personally. I learned that it's better to listen for central ideas than for facts. I know I find myself listening for facts most of the time when I am in a lecture class, and as a result, I take down an overload of information. If I instead only focused on finding the central idea, I could save myself some time and energy. Going along with that, I also need to learn a few more styles of note taking in order to become more flexible. I would have believed that note-taking and outlining were near synonymous. However, after further thought, I agree that note-taking for me often becomes a distraction to where I focus more on mindlessly writing words than listening to the actual points. If I could come up with a few more "systems" of taking notes, perhaps I could better retain and understand the information I was receiving. Another new idea I found to work on is capitalizing on thought speed. I had no idea that we think for times faster than we speak! It's understandable then that many people subconsciously become impatient with the speaker's slowness and let our thoughts run at their normal speed. I am guilty of doing this when I feel like the person speaking to me is saying too little to be worth my time. I let my thoughts take over and only appear to be listening, which could later result in me missing important information. Therefore, I need to work on anticipating what the speaker is going to say, mentally summarize their message, weigh the speaker's evidence, and listen between the lines. If I practice these four things, I will be able to slow down my brain to fully listen to people when they speak to me and avoid becoming easily distracted. This little booklet taught me a lot about being a good listener, and I will definitely use some of its ideas to help make myself a better listener.

2 comments:

lead_succeed said...

Dear LIND$AY,

I like how you used the example of listening for facts in lecture class, and becoming overloaded with information instead of focusing on the central idea. This happens to me also, and it would definitely save time and energy. I think I can speak for most people, that note taking really is a distraction like you said. We focus on writing down notes that at the time, looks like gibberish because we are also trying to listen and interpret what the speaking is saying. I have the problem with becoming annoyed when a speaker is speaking to slow when I am busy. I have to work on that.

Really good post

-lead_succeed

MaryLou said...

Lindsay,

I completely agree with you about the paying attention in class. I am usually just listening for the key points and missing the central idea all together. I spend so much time taking down notes that I miss half the lecture. I don't think we retain anything mentally with note taking because we although we are hearing what the lecturer is saying, we aren't really listening. There is a huge difference between hearing someone and listening to them. When we listen, we comprehend, relate, and understand what the person is saying, and most of all we remember. I usually am just hearing in class instead of fully listening and giving my 100% attention and focus. I also distract myself throughout class, and by the time I look up I am behind. Good Post!

Post a Comment