Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, September 16, 2011

Language is Rule Guided

I found the concept of rules in verbal communication to be a very interesting idea this week. When one thinks about having a conversation, usually following the rules of communication isn't really an issue. However, they are generally followed naturally. Regulative rules, which specify the when, where, with whom, and how to talk, are slightly more obvious than the constitutive rules. Regulative rules regulate conversation. For instance, in my family a regulative rule about conversation is that we do not discuss finances with my father, but rather with my mother. Another regulative rule with my family is that we do not argue when we have guests over. Constitutive rules specify how to interpret specific kinds of communication and are slightly more socially generalized. For example, when meeting a new person it is appropriate to smile, introduce yourself, and shake hands, which is a constitutive rule. These rules, although not stated or written down, regulate our conversation daily subconsciously. They help conversations run smoothly and appropriately according to both particular and generalized others.

2 comments:

lead_succeed said...

Dear LIND$AY,

What I got from your post is that language in any situation whether we realize it or not, is rule guided. This is definitely interesting. It is true that most of the time when we have conversations, we follow the rules of communication naturally. Regulative rules, like you mentioned, consist of what or how we say things depending on when, where, and whom we are conversing with. We could be talking with one of our friends and being sarcastic, but if someone who was older than us came to talk to us, then talking respectively would cause regulative rules to initiate. When I am talking with my parents, I am not allowed to talk back or talk loud. Also, constitutive rules really do regulate our conversations on a daily basis.

Gooood post!

-lead_succeed

little miss daisy said...

Hi Lind$ay,

I really enjoyed reading your post. Until reading the chapter and your post, I never really thought of how we have rules in verbal communication and that we actually follow them without realizing it. As you mentioned that with regulative rules,we mention who we talk to, how we do, and why we do, is more obvious than contructive rules. I liked your example on how in your family, a regulative rule is that you don't discuss your finances with your father, but only your mother. That is actually the same regulative rule in my family as well. I also liked your example on constructive rules. When I read what this rule was about, an example I thought of when we have an acquaintance, who is not a friend however not a total stranger, it is polite to acknowledge them, and be polite, however not be completely ourselves because the whole point of acquaintances is that we are somewhat of ourselves around them and respect them, however we do not act with them as we would with a good friend or someone who knows us well.

Great post overall!

-little miss daisy

Post a Comment